Sandwiches are a great quick meal and there are plenty of ways to make them healthier and to complement them with healthful options. Here are some tips:
· Start with whole grain bread. There are many varieties to choose including whole grain pita pockets, mini bagels, thin flat bagels, tortillas, sliced bread, buns and English muffins.
· Try mashed avocado for a sandwich spread. It is very low in sodium and a great source of healthy monounsaturated fat.
· Select a lean protein like skinned chicken or turkey breast, lean sliced roast beef, tuna or a low fat luncheon meat instead of a higher fat option.
· Load it up with raw vegetables. Dark green leaf lettuce or fresh spinach leaves, tomato slices, purple onion rings and cucumber slices are great options.
· Add raw vegetable crudités like carrots & celery sticks, cauliflower and broccoli florets, jicama slices and radishes to increase the vegetable intake. Serve with hummus
· Include some dairy. Sliced low fat cheese on the sandwich, a carton of fat free yogurt or a glass of skim milk complement a sandwich nicely.
· Enjoy fruit for dessert. Try a sliced apple or pear, banana, orange segments, grape clusters or fruit cup.
Sign up now and receive our weekly offers directly into your inbox...