Apples are a great low fat and high fiber snack to enjoy during autumn months. They contain vitamin C and the health promoting plant based phytonutrients polyphenols and antioxidants.
There are many varieties of apples ranging from tart like granny smith, pink lady and braeburn to very sweet like fuji, gala and red delicious. Apples can also be used to make great desserts, salads and salsas.
- Select apples that are firm to hard and well colored for the variety. The skins should be unbroken, tight and unblemished.
- Store unwashed apples in the refrigerator to prevent flesh from getting mushy.
- Wash apples under cold running water just before serving.
- Dip cut apples in apple juice fortified with vitamin C or pineapple, lemon or lime juice to prevent apples from turning brown.
- One medium apple contains approximately 81 calories, .3 grams protein, .5 grams fat, 21 grams carbohydrate, 0 cholesterol, 2.8 grams dietary fiber, 1 milligram sodium and 159 milligrams potassium.
Return to Articles